Rui Fernandes represents domestic and international clients involved directly and indirectly in transportation, insurance and related industries. He is involved in all aspects of transportation law (aviation, marine, trucking, rail, freight forwarding, logistics, supply chain, customs and trade, and warehousing). He advises clients with respect to contract and commercial law including risk analysis and regulatory matters. He provides corporate and commercial advice to foreign clients setting up and doing business in Canada.
His insurance practice includes policy drafting, coverage issues, errors and omissions claims, professional liability claims, marine and aviation, inland marine, property and casualty liability defense, products liability and subrogation. He also represents insurance brokers, insurance agents, managing general agents and marine surveyors.
Rui holds certificates from the University of Windsor for its ADR Workshop and for its Advanced ADR Workshop and Pepperdine University for its STAR program (Systematic Approach to Mediation Strategies). He is a qualified arbitrator and obtained his QArb. designation in 2019 and his FCIArb in 2020. Rui has conducted numerous mediations and arbitrations both as counsel and as a mediator or arbitrator.
Rui also brings experience to his practice from his business background in running a number of successful businesses including vessel chartering, biotechnology, small hydroelectric and publishing.
He has appeared and represented clients before: The Supreme Court of Canada, The Federal Court of Appeal, The Federal Court of Canada, The Ontario Court of Appeal, The Ontario Superior Court, The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, The Nova Scotia Superior Court, The British Columbia Supreme Court, The Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, The Canadian International Trade Tribunal, The Canadian Transportation Agency, The Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada, and before the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario Discipline Committee.
- Transportation & Logistics
- Insurance & Claims
- Mediation & Arbitration, International Business, Energy
- Bill C-47 Increases Limits of Liability for Marine Accidents - September 6, 2023
- Forced or Compulsory Labour Laws in Canada - September 6, 2023
- Canadian Maritime Law Association (Executive member, Central Regional Vice President)
- Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters
- Association of Average Adjusters of the United States and Canada (Past President, Canada)
- Association of Maritime Arbitrators of Canada
- Canadian Transport Lawyers Association (Past President)
- Marine Club (Past President)
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Bluestone ADR, Panelist
- The Grunt Club
- Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association (Current Legal Counsel and Director)
- Toronto Transportation Club
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
- Passenger & Commercial Vessel Association
- ADR Institute of Ontario
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society
- Best Lawyers in Canada – 2006-2024 (Maritime Law)
- Best Lawyers in Canada – 2008-2024 (Transportation Law)
- Included in The Legal 500 Canada – Leading Individual 2018
- Listed in Lexpert as a leading practitioner and most frequently recommended lawyer in Transportation (Rail & Road) and Shipping and Maritime Law, as well as Commercial Insurance
- Listed in the International Who’s Who of Shipping and Maritime Lawyers
- Listed in Chambers Global 2020 – (Transportation and Shipping)
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal Canada for Shipping and Maritime Law and for Transportation
- Listed in Best Lawyers in both Maritime Law and Transportation Law. He was Best Lawyers 2014 Transportation Lawyer of the Year for his region.
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell with a peer review rating of AV Preeminent
- Doyles Guide – Leading Transport Lawyers – Canada: Preeminent