Ash Baker acts for a broad range of for-profit and non-profit clients, with an emphasis on the technology and environmental sectors. His incisive legal drafting and strong capability to get to the heart of a legal matter result in concise and clearly-stated contracts and legal documents, that combine strong protection for his clients' interests, with a solution-oriented consideration of the best end result for all the parties in a transaction.
Ash is expert at distilling complex business structures into lucid and logical agreements. His extensive experience in representing a range of clients in the environmental and high-tech sectors has given him a broad appreciation of the everyday issues in these industries, and an ability to quickly develop the critical mass of know-how necessary to successfully advance his clients' interests. Ash has particular prowess at encapsulating complex systems and arrangements in coherent and consistent contractual documents. His practise in this specialty has included conceptualising, creating and optimising contracts for a savings performance contract program, and program rules and agreements for government-mandated waste diversion programs.
Before joining the firm, Ash worked for several years as in-house counsel with a Fortune 500 medical product distributor; this experience has made him adept at working with business leaders to craft cost-effective legal solutions, with business needs at top of mind.
Ash has studied law in Japan and worked in a Japanese law firm; he speaks conversational Japanese.
- Developed and drafted suite of contractual documents for innovative financing model for energy efficiency building retrofits.
- Represented class-leading Canadian aerospace firm in the successful negotiation, drafting and conclusion of major space-based infrastructure venture
- Advised public-sector clients with respect to tendering and procurement issues, including RFP/RFQ and contracting matters.
- Developed system of program rules and operational agreements used by government-created environmental stewardship and waste diversion bodies.
Articles and Presentations
- Beware the 'Helpful' Internet Domain Registrar - December 2, 2008
- Proposed Updates to Canada's Copyright Laws: Bill C-61 - September 23, 2008
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Corporate Secretary and board member, Bayview Community Services (2013-present)
Beyond the Office
Outside the practice of law, Ash enjoys spending time with his family, playing the pedal-steel guitar, hand-tool woodworking, and prospecting on the foothills of Parnassus.