Arlene has developed a broad range of expertise in the areas of corporate and commercial law, with a strong focus on merger and acquisition transactions, corporate governance and corporate finance. Arlene works extensively with technology based companies and assets including software, media and green technology. While Arlene maintains a mix of practice areas in commercial law, she has focused her practice on mergers and acquisitions and technology law. Arlene has also been a key advisor to various not-for-profit and charitable boards on corporate governance matters and is recognized as a specialist in corporate governance matters having recently graduated from the Directors Education Program at Rotman School of Management and received an ICD.D. designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors.
Arlene is a seasoned business advisor with 20 years’ experience in assisting both international and local clients on their cross border and multinational business affairs both in structuring their affairs or assisting in transactions, investments, expansions, partnerships and contractual matters in Canada and world-wide and working with their multidisciplinary advisors locally and abroad.
Arlene is a frequent speaker and organizer of a broad range of corporate law programs held by Ontario Bar Association Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association as well as other private equity events. Arlene is very involved in working with technology based and innovative businesses grow their business and provide sound legal advice to assist them to grow smart. From the drafting of letters on intent, through the negotiation of the merger or purchase and sale agreement and the conduct of due diligence investigations, to the closing of the transaction, Arlene applies her energy and experience. At all times, she is able to call upon her familiarity with her tax law and technology law background.
- Business and Corporate Commercial
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Represented the buyers in a merger and acquisition transaction involving the purchase of a large carpet and tile supply and installation partnership with combined annual revenue of approximately $100 million.
- Represented a water infrastructure business in its acquisition of a water services business to expand its European operations.
- Represented one party in structuring a joint venture arrangement in the mobile payments platform area in connection with a response to an RFP.
- Representing a client in various financing transactions, both short and long‑term in the solar power space.
Articles and Presentations
Ontario business law council ‘a unique beast within government’, Law Times – January 6, 2020
National Business Law Conference Panelist on the topic of: Earn Outs: a Tool to Bridge the Value Gap or a Trap for the Unwary hosted by the CBA – Nov 2017
Speaker at the 5th Annual Professionalism Issues for Business Lawyers hosted by the OBA – Oct 2017
Subject Matter Expert for the Business Law Program at Ryerson LPP, 2014‑2017
Chair, Business Law Summit 2015, Shaping the Agenda for Reform, OBA, Oct 2015
Chair of Various Programs for Ontario Bar Association relating to Business Law Matters
Speaker, Legal Strategies for Building Corporate Value and Protecting Innovation Canadian Innovation Exchange (CIX), Nov 2014
Assets Acquisitions in Ontario: Buying Liability in Bulk
- Blockchain: Background, Challenges and Legal Issues From a Corporate Viewpoint - November 15, 2018
- Changes in the Law To Encourage Diversity In The Workplace - May 17, 2018
- Directors' Duties to the Corporation: Focus on Dual Loyalty - November 12, 2015
- Asset Acquisitions in Ontario - September 26, 2011
- Employment Contract Provisions - Protect Your Organization - April 1, 2010
- Member of Ontario’s Business Law Advisory Council – Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, 2016, 2017
- Chair of the Not-for Profit Working Group – Ontario’s Business Law Advisory Council
- Board member of Canada’s National Ballet School Foundation
- Board member of Hot Docs (honourary)
- Canadian Women’s Foundation – Toronto Breakfast Committee Deputy Chair, 2000-2015
- CIX Advisory Committee, 2015
- Best Lawyers in Canada for Private Funds Law – 2019-2020
- Chair of the Corporate Law Subcommittee – OBA Business Law Section
- A past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association – Business Law Section
- Ontario Bar Association, Business Law
- Canadian Venture Capital Association
- Ryerson Law Practice Program – Business Law – Subject Matter Expert
- Canada’s National Ballet School Foundation
- Canadian Women’s Foundation