Samantha Chapman’s practice focuses exclusively on corporate and commercial law. She has been involved in a number of complex commercial transactions including the merger and acquisition of businesses in various industries, as well as the related acquisition financing. As a trusted advisor to her clients, Samantha has also routinely assisted clients in setting up businesses and corporate restructurings, negotiating and drafting shareholders and partnership agreements, structuring complex financing arrangements and assisting clients with other agreements required in the operation of their businesses.
Early in her practice Samantha was involved in a number of complex commercial disputes dealing with a wide array of legal issues including contract interpretation, shareholder disputes, fraud and misappropriation of funds. Her exposure to these complex legal disputes now provides the backdrop to Samantha’s corporate commercial practice. Having debated these legal issues in the courtroom and understanding the way the court system works, Samantha is uniquely equipped to keep her clients out of the courtroom when negotiating and papering commercial transactions.
In addition to her corporate practice, Samantha is also a trademark agent and is able to assist clients in obtaining trademark registrations so as to protect their valued trade-names and trade-marks.
- Business and Corporate Commercial
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a borrower to acquire construction financing necessary to build a hotel and negotiated a franchise agreement for the use of the flagship name attached to the hotel;
- Represented one party in a complex merger and acquisition transaction which included the buy-out of a key shareholder and the restructuring of one of the companies under the CCAA
- Represented minority shareholders on a contentious sale of their interest in a business to the majority shareholder
- Routinely implement corporate restructuring transactions for succession planning and creditor proofing purposes
- Director and Chair of the Board of Community Head Injury Resource Services (CHIRS)
- Volunteer with Golden Future South Africa